get in touch


Back to Search Results

Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Ruthin

Price - £650,000

Reception Rooms: 3 | Bedrooms: 6 | Bathrooms: 3

Property Details Floorplans Map EPC Branch Details

Property Overview

  • Grade 11 Listed
  • Elizabethan Country House
  • 6 Bedrooms
  • Breath-taking Views
  • Sweeping Driveway
  • Well stocked Gardens
  • 8.2 Acres

The greater part of an outstanding Grade II Listed Elizabethan Country House set in 2.8 acres with breath-taking panoramic views along the Clwydian Range. Some three miles from the market town of Ruthin, 13 miles from Mold and 26 miles from Chester. In brief it affords: entrance vestibule, reception hall, inner hall with a fine staircase, two reception rooms, fitted kitchen/breakfast room, cloakroom, first floor split level landing, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, second floor 2 bedrooms and attic room. Private sweeping driveway with delightful well stocked gardens with original Elizabethan terracing and adjoining fields - the whole extending to about 8.2 acres.

Eyarth Hall is believed to date from the late 16th century with origins as far back as 1100. Archaelogia Cambrionis tells us the Hall was once owned by the Lord of Chirk. Rice Williams, who built Eyarth Hall in 1593, was the personal assistant of Gabriel Goodman, who was the 5th Dean of Westminster Abbey during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Thereafter, the property was owned by the Wynne family and then by James Goodrich in the late 1870s, who was High Sheriff of Denbighshire. Prior to the current ownership, the Clarke family who founded the Youth Hostel Association were resident.

The property stands in an elevated position with a splendid east facing aspect with extensive panoramic views over the Vale of Clwyd to the Clwydian Mountain Range. Located off a minor country lane leading to the hamlet of Graigadwywynt, the market town of Ruthin is just three miles to the north where there is an excellent range of local amenities and good road links to Mold 13 miles and Chester 26 miles from Eyarth Hall.

The Hall has been sub-divided by the current owners, who are retaining the western side of the house and a former derelict cottage which is currently being restored. The house is in part stone, half timbered with some rendered elevations beneath a slate roof. Internally there is some fine timber work with exposed beams and panelling, plus several date plaques, and a wig cupboard.


Twin glazed doors leading in with a fine slate slab floor, oak seats and part glazed to one side. An original oak studded door opening to the reception hall.


15'8" x 15'3" (4.78m x 4.65m)

With part oak panelling, window to the north elevation with fitted shutters, shelved cupboard with family crest above, wig cupboard (which could readily be converted to provide a cloakroom and wc), wall light points, a fine and ornate carved oak fireplace surround with date plaque 1599 with delft tiles and open fire grate, exposed ceiling beams, spot lights, wall light points and radiator.


Glazed door opening to the garden, a wide and fine staircase rising to the first floor with heavy turned newels, barley twist spindles and cupboard beneath. A fine herringbone wood block floor, wall lights and radiator.


19'10" x 15'1" + bay (6.05m x 4.60m +bay)

With french window and shutters opening to the garden, open fireplace with log store, exposed beam and deep recess to one side, wall light points and panelled radiator.

DRAWING ROOM (south and east)

20'6" x 13'6" + 2 large bays (6.25m x 4.11m +0.05m

French window with shutters to garden, further south facing hexagonal bay, display shelving with cupboards beneath, open fireplace, built-in drinks cupboard, wall light points and two radiators.


21' (max) x 14'9" (6.40m ( max) x 4.50m)

Extensive range of base and wall mounted cupboards and drawers with solid oak panelled door and drawer fronts with contrasting working surface to include glazed display cabinets with concealed lighting and open shelving. Inset 1½ bowl sink with drainer, integrated dishwasher, microwave oven and oven. Built-in refrigerator and electric freezer. A cream enamelled four-oven electric fired AGA with twin hotplate and integrated twin electric hob. Window with shutters overlooking the garden, downlighters, sealed composition floor and radiator.


A fine pitched pine staircase with barley twist balusters and handrail on both sides leading to a very spacious landing bearing the Wynne plaque dated 1606. Shutters to window.


18'9" x 15'0" (5.72m x 4.57m)

With window seat, shutters to window, enclosed basin with concealed lighting and cupboard below, range of fitted wardrobes and panelled radiator.


Tiled area with electric unit, wash basin and wc.

Five wide stairs leading to:


With two candle cupboards, wall light points, window shutters and radiator.


13'7" x 12'10" (4.14m x 3.91m)

With bay window, built-in cupboard with shelving above, built-in wardrobe and hob grate fireplace with marble surround.


20'2" x 12'11" (6.15m x 3.94m)

With bay window, hob grate with marble surround, shelving, built-in cupboards, built-in wardrobe and radiator.


5.2m x 3.6m (17'1" x 11'10")

Window shutters, hob grate, airing cupboard with cylinder and radiator.


2.5m x 3m (8'2" x 9'10")

Four piece coloured suite comprising panel bath, pedestal wash basin, low level WC and bidet. Part tiled walls, roof light.


2.3m x 1.4m (7'7" x 4'7")

Wash basin and low flush w.c.


Side lobby leading to a large attic store room.

4.6m x 5.3m (15'1" x 17'5")

4.7m x 3.9m (15'5" x 12'10")


Eyarth Hall and neighbouring property is approached over a long private drive, which will remain in the ownership of the vendors. Thereafter, the drive divides into a private tarmacadam drive leading directly to the northern elevation of the house with large turning and parking area.


The principal gardens lie to the southern elevation of the house, where there is a wide lawn adjoining the original Elizabethan terrace with rockery and gravelled path, and a further lawn. Steps lead down to a lower terrace, which is the remains of the old coaching drive and is planted with many shrubs and spring bulbs.


The adjoining field extends to about 5.4 acres and extends below and down the road, and contains a small pond and an old stone arched well. The land has separate gate access onto the adopted lane.


There is the possibility of purchasing part of an orchard, a nearby parcel of woodland and field to the north and west of Eyarth Hall by separate negotiation, details of which are available on inspection.


Mains electricity. Shared private water supply from a bore hole to the front field and pumped to the house. Private drainage system.


Denbighshire County Council - Council Tax Band I.


From the Agent's Ruthin office proceed down Well Street and on reaching the junction with Station Road, bear right. Follow the road out of town for some two miles, whereupon on reaching the village of Llanfair D.C. Turn right directly opposite the White Horse Inn, signposted Pwllglas. Follow the road through the village and down the hill and on reaching the minor crossroads, turn left towards Graigadwywynt. Follow the road over the hump back bridge and continue along the lane for approximately one third of a mile and the entrance to Eyarth Hall will be found on the right hand side. Follow the drive up the hill and take the first left into the drive to the house.


By appointment through the Agent's Ruthin office 01824 703030.

FLOOR PLANS - included for identification purposes only, not to scale.


St Peters Square,
Denbighshire. LL15 1AE

Tel: 01824 703030