Reception Rooms: 3 | Bedrooms: 6 | Bathrooms: 5
A beautifully restored Grade II* listed Elizabethan mansion house occupying a commanding hillside position within extensive grounds extending in total to about 8.6 acres, located some 22 miles of Chester and 10 miles of Wrexham.
For sale as a whole or in 2 lots.
LOT 1: A newly refurbished and highly appointed six bedroom house briefly comprising of entrance hall, living room, study, kitchen, ancillary rooms, three first floor en-suite bedrooms, three second floor bedrooms and a games / cinema room incorporating staff accommodation with kitchen. Set in extensive grounds extending to about 5.99 acres and comprising of a walled garden, extensive lawned garden with lake.
LOT 2: Outbuildings with planning consent to convert to 8 residential dwellings comprising 2 x four bedroom, 2 x three bedroom, 3 x two bedrooms and 1 x one bedroom cottage with parking, stores and gardens.
Bodidris Hall is a fine late Elizabethan manor house built by the Lloyds of Bodidris, an important gentry family who rose to prominence under the Tudors. The old stable block and Bodidris Cottage situated to the south west originally formed an impressive hall house and dated 1581 was built at the same time as Bodidris itself, possibly by Evan Lloyd who became Sheriff of Denbigh in 1583. Although in close proximity, it is thought that the two houses functioned independently, with separate gentry households (perhaps different generations of the Lloyd family) in each.
Alternatively the main house may have been built as guest accommodation for the Earl of Leicester, who fought with Evan
Lloyd in Ireland and knighted him in 1586. Leicester is said to have used Bodidris between 1563 and 1578 as his hunting lodge and his heraldic badge, the bear and the ragged staff, appears on the south gate.
During the 19th century the ownership of Bodidris passed to the Williams family of Bodelwyddan Castle. Sir Hugh Williams gave money for the new school at Llandegla and his sister paid for the rebuilding of Llandegla church.
Bodidris Hall is a substantial stone Manor House with a slate roof. Part timbered sections offer clues to the evolution of the house and fine stone mullioned windows and oak doors are a particular feature of the property. In spite of its scale Bodidris is well balanced for modern family living and has been impressively restored with the work having just been completed. The heavy panelled front door beside a stone terrace adjacent to a large gravelled parking area at the side of the house opens into a hall with a stone floor, a cloakroom and wc. It leads to a reception hall linking the kitchen to the main reception rooms and
containing wonderful ancient stairs described in a brass plaque as a duelling staircase. Beneath the stairs is a larder/wine store.
A fine oak partition provides the division from the superb family kitchen with an excellent bespoke Clive Christian kitchen with high quality appliances, including a LaCanche cooking range, marble work tops and a substantial island. At the opposite end of the room is an area for dining and beside a door to the back hall a seating area within a former inglenook. Off the back hall is a second staircase and a corridor with fitted cupboards leading to a utility room. A door opens onto the drive.
At the front of the house offering views over the grounds and valley beyond is an impressive drawing room with heavy oak beams, a fireplace and panelled walls and a dining room. On the first floor is a stunning master bedroom suite with far reaching views, a dressing room and bathroom and two further suites. There are two staircases to the first floor with one leading to a space designed as a play room/cinema which links to a kitchen and wc. This area may offer scope for the creation of a staff flat.
The second stairs leads to a landing serving three further bedrooms and a family bathroom. Outside is a large walled garden, mainly laid to lawn and together with the drive contained within a private area accessed via substantial timber gates.
In front of the house.
The Grade II* Listed outbuildings are situated to the south west of Bodidris Hall and comprise the Old Stable Block and three cottages requiring renovation being:
- Gardeners Cottage
- Grooms Cottage
- Laundry Cottage
The handsome buildings are arranged around a courtyard and occupy a site extending to about 1.61 acres. The Old Stable is a particularly fine building with an elegant cupola style clock tower.
Planning consent was granted on 25th February 2015 (Application 17/2014/0980) for Alterations to 4 dwellings and conversion of redundant outbuildings together with associated works including installation of replacement effluent treatment plant. The permission was later altered to remove an occupancy condition giving a full residential permission for 8 properties.
Summary of proposed accommodation:
8 units comprising: 2x4 bed, 2x3 bed, 3x2 bed, 1x1 bed, Store rooms, Parking, Gardens.
Total Floor Area approximately 10,700 sq ft
By appointment through the Agent's Ruthin office 01824 703030.
FLOOR PLANS - included for identification purposes only, not to scale.
HME / SAW
St Peters Square,
Denbighshire. LL15 1AE
Tel: 01824 703030